Many people ask me "How do you cope with the pain you feel daily without meds?"
My answer is normally, " I kinda just do" Which isn't un true I use my self disicipline to get me through a lot of my days. A lot of the time I am working and dealing with people so I am unable to take anything that is going to make me sleepy or knock me out.
Here are some of the things I do:
1. Stay in constant communication with my support group. When I say constant communication I am not joking, at any giving time I can post on that page how I am feeling and will have responses in seconds my friends there help me breathe and get through the rough patch, I also have many members phone numbers so if all else fails they are a call or text away. ( I Love Fibro Heroes!!!!!)
2. Breathing works. Yes its true taking a few deep breathes when the pain is very intense dosent make it go away but it helps me relax
3. Remember my stress/ pain management skills from counseling, this is why I went to counseling to begin with so that I can manage this without meds.
4. Hang out with my Thearpy Cats Lilla and Skye. Yes, I legitimately have two wonderful kitties that help me during a flare and provide me with emotional comfort.
5. reach out to family and friends they get it and will talk to me to take my mind off of pain.
6. Music therapy ( I am certified in this so it works for me as my own patient :) )
So its a lot and honestly it dosen't always work, I break down and take something, and honesly now I've had to come to terms with the fact that its OK for me to do that sometime! I am not crazy nor do I always have to be strong about pain.
Its been about a year and a half since my diagnosis and I am doing OK. The main thing now is to get my depression under control once I do that I will feel better about myself and even more ready to conquer the world.