Sunday, April 19, 2015

My Birth Story

 I guess I will preface this, with Yes, Esperanza is here! How she got here... well here is my story.   I like many first time mom's had this dream of  that perfect birth.  You know the one with your husband by your side and midwives and nurses telling you to push and breath because things would be okay and you were gonna bring a baby into the world in 0.2 seconds with just that One last push... Well  It was anything but that, but equally as exciting.

March 23rd- I noticed a lot of swelling in my feet and my BP had been on a steady incline.   Esperanza was passing her Non- Stress Tests with flying colors and no one seemed to worry except for me. 

March 27th- Baby Shower Weekend  I finally got to go home and see my family who I hadn't seen in almost a half of a year.  That 3 hour drive was so grueling not to mention my feet were swollen now to the point of walking and shoe wearing were almost impossible. I spent most of that weekend with my feet up and had a lot of people worried because the swelling was so bad. Check out the pic below.

March 29th- The Drive back to Toledo was equally as brutal and now, I had ditched shoes and went for slippers.  My feet again were massively swollen and now I had chest pains and a massive freaking headache.  I thought well swelling is "normal"  headaches are an every day occurrence for me and the chest pain well... that was  new but meh I'll mention it tomorrow when I see my doctor.  Here is the pic of my feet 2 days after my shower.

March 30th- My weekly appt with my OB I show her pics and share my symptoms oh and I should mention now that my BP was dangerously high.She wasn't concerned too much about the swelling but the headache and chest pain was a cause for concern so she sent me to labor and delivery for a preecampsica work up and told me "Well we might deliver today"  " I'll let you know later this after noon"  I was supposed to work that day and she said if you go home today you are on bed rest you are done working like now.   So I spent all day in L&D  getting a battery of tests done.  They sent me home at 10 30 that night with strict instructions to be on bed rest and not to over do it. My doctor wanted to "Buy time" and I was only 34 weeks and 5 days..   All the while Espy is doing great.

March 31st and April 1st-   I continued to feel like crap.  Even through I hated bed rest there was nothing I could do I couldn't walk I was very uncomfortable I was miserable.   Headache never fully went away in fact it came back with a vengeance.  The only thing stopping me from going into the hospital Weds. was that it was April Fools and no one would have believed me that there was something going on and more so, I had an appt at the hospital early Thursday Morning   with Maternal Fetal Medicine and I planned then to tell them my symptoms.

April 2nd-  I arrived for my NST ( non stress test) as I normally did but this time things were a bit different. My BP was super high and there was protein in my urine.   I am now almost to the point of tears and just absolutely 100% a mess.  I asked the nurses to call my doctor and tell them what I am experiencing, I said if you guys don't then I will. I am not leaving here today something is very wrong.   They continued my appointment with my scheduled ultrasound and everything looked good with the baby, but I felt like crap.   A doctor comes in and says " So they are recommending delivery" I am like "What?" luckily I came prepared ( I had a hunch that I'd be admitted)  What I didn't expect was the next hour.  Long story very short I was told I'd be having a C-section as my doctor didn't think I could deliver naturally.   I thought because I had eaten and taken insulin already that I had to wait 8 hours before they could do the surgery. This was good because it gave me time to let my family know to just get to the hospital ( They had a 3 hour drive).  

Enter Dr. Gordon,   She asked me how bad I wanted to deliver naturally, and then with great concern says " I am not a fan of that "   she then says  something to the effect of  look you are really sick, if this was something elective we could wait, but you are sick and we just can't wait. We need to get this baby out and you better in the next 2 hours. The longer you stay pregnant the worse it is going to be for both of you.    Now, I am already freaking out internally but now I am like OMG 2 hours?  my husband pipes in and says " 2 hours from when?"   Dr Gordon says " 2 hours from the moment I made this decision 5 minutes ago"   We both were like well alright!   I then call my family again and tell them t hey are going to miss the delivery because its an emergency but just get up there whenever they could without breaking major laws LOL.

Everything happened so damn fast all I know was that I was in the OR by noon  and at 12:46  this happened.

Esperanza Faith- Denise Lozano
12:46 PM
 4LBs 11oz
16 1/2 inches

My child was perfect and did not see the NICU despite being 5 weeks premature.
It wasn't what I envisioned but  it was perfect and my story. 17 days later she is perfect and a joy to our lives. Finally after all of the struggling and tears. We have our miracle  baby.

Mommy and Daddy Love you so much Esperanza

No comments:

Post a Comment